Makes: approx. 500g
Prep time: 30 min
- 400g canned or cooked chickpeas
- 2tbsp tahini
- 1 small roasted beetroot
- ½ squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp cumin
- Roast beetroot in the oven for 30-35 min at 180°C with cumin, salt and olive oil. You can add any other spices you like. Coriander, turmeric and paprika work well.
- Place the chickpeas, the tahini, the roasted beetroot, the garlic, the cumin, the salt and the squeezed lemon juice in a kitchen processor.
- Add 1-2 ice cubes to make hummus smoother.
- Blend for 4-5 minutes (or more) until smooth and creamy, adding some water from cooked chickpeas (or from a can) during the blending.
- Add extra virgin olive oil on top of the hummus once plated.
- Slightly overcooked and warm chickpeas work better for making a creamier hummus. If using canned chickpeas, simmer them in a pan using the liquid from the can for a few minutes. If using dry chickpeas, then pre-soak them for a few hours (ideally overnight) and then cook them for 40-50 min, until slightly overcooked.
- Adding ice-cubes before blending makes hummus creamier and airier.
- Keep adding a bit of water from the chickpeas if hummus consistency is too thick.