Functional Blood Test
The Future Of Health Is Data-Driven, Personalised & Empowering
Why the Functional Blood Test?
Our data-driven approach to your health starts with a comprehensive functional blood chemistry test which covers 150+ biomarkers across blood, urine and body composition analysis.
The Functional Blood Test allows us to assess your hormonal, immune, metabolic, digestive and nutritional health status and identify any early signs of biochemical imbalances. By identifying these biochemical imbalances early, we will work with you to address them before they lead to more serious health issues.
Benefits of the Functional Blood Test
- Provide a comprehensive in-depth analysis of your health
- Identify hormonal, digestive, metabolic and immune imbalances and nutrient deficiencies early
- Allow for a personalised health optimisation strategy
- Provide a proactive approach to maintaining overall health and wellbeing
Functional vs. Conventional Blood Testing
Functional blood test does not only look for the presence or absence of a disease; it focus on underlying patterns and biochemical imbalance that MAY lead to the development of a disease in future. It is a true preventative tool. Functional blood chemistry analysis is quite different from a conventional blood test. First of all, the interpretation of your results is based on OPTIMAL levels for each biomarker, not “normal” reference levels. Normal reference levels are based on an increasingly unhealthy population, while optimal levels are much narrower and based on your age and gender. Do you experience symptoms but your blood test results keep coming back “normal”? Then you need to look at optimal levels, as well as wider range of markers to get to the bottom of your health challenges.
Second of all, functional blood chemistry interpretation allows to identify certain patterns and conditions. For example, a few suboptimal markers may indicate a parasitic infection, such as raised Eosinophils, raised Monocytes, raised/low White Blood Cells, low Ferritin, low ALP. These patterns may not even be picked up in your conventional blood test, as they could be within the “normal” range.
Functional Interpretation Consultation
The true art of the functional blood test is in its interpretation. Following your blood and urine test, as well as body composition analysis, you will have in-depth functional interpretation consultation with Elena Rolt, a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner (IFMCP) and a Nutritional Therapist.
During your one hour Interpretation Consultation, Elena will walk you through the key biochemical findings for each of your functional systems, including:
- Gastrointestinal System
- Gallbladder & Fatty Acids
- Mineral Balance
- Vitamin Balance
- Blood Sugar Regulation
- Adrenal Health
- Liver Health
- Kidney & Genito-Urinary System
- Thyroid Health
- Sex Hormones
- Cardio-Vascular Health
- Inflammation & Immune Function
You will learn how your current functional imbalances relate to your symptoms. More importantly, Elena will explain how these imbalances could be corrected with focused nutritional and lifestyle changes, as well as supplementation. Following your Interpretation Consultation you will receive your personalised Functional Blood Report and Health Optimisation Strategy.
Comprehensive blood test includes the following panels:
- Full Blood Count
- Lipid Panel (Cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides)
- Heart Health (Small LDL, Lipoprotein (a), Apo-A1, Apo-B, Heart-type Fatty Acid Binding Protein)
- Liver Profile (ALP, AST, ALT, GGT, Total Bilirubin, Globulin, Albumin)
- Metabolic Profile (Glucose, Insulin, HbA1c, C-peptide, Leptin, Adiponectin, Resistin)
- Kidney Health (Creatinine, eGFR, Chlorine, Calcium, Potassium, Phosphate, Sodium, Urea, Cystatin C)
- Iron Profile (Iron, TIBC, Transferrin, Transferrin Saturation, Ferritin)
- Infection & Inflammation (ESR, hs-CRP, C3, C4, Ferritin, IgA, IgG, IgM, ASO)
- Full Thyroid Profile (TSH, Free T4, Free T3, TPO-antibodies, TG-antibodies)
- Female Hormonal Health (Oestradiol, FSH, LH, Progesterone, Prolactin, Testosterone, SHBG)
- Male Hormonal Health (Testosterone, SHBG, Free Androgen Index)
- Tumour Markers (PSA (males), CA-125 (females))
- Nutritional Markers (Folate, B12, Iron, Vitamin D3, Magnesium)
- Allergy Evaluation (IgE)
- Muscle & Joint Health (CK, Uric Acid, RF)
Urine tests measure the following:
- Red Blood Cells (RBCs)
- White Blood Cells (WBCs)
Book a blood draw appointment by completing this form and choosing your preferred time and location. The Gut Philosophy team will be in touch within 24 hours to confirm your blood draw appointment at one of the London-based clinics.
- Please do not consume food or drinks (excluding water) for a minimum of 6 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Please stay well hydrated with water.
- Please do not chew gum.
- Please do not smoke for a minimum of 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Please avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours before your appointment.
- Please discontinue using any supplementation for a minimum of 3-5 days prior to testing (do not discontinue prescribed medication)
During your appointment at the London-based clinic, your body measurements will be taken, a blood draw will be conducted and you will be asked to provide a urine sample. You will also be asked to remove your shoes as part of the body composition assessment.
The appointment takes approximately 30 minutes.
Your samples will be sent to the lab for analysis and we will arrange an interpretation consultation within one week with your Interpretation Report and Personalised Health Optimisation Strategy.
For those that want to understand their hormonal, immune, metabolic, digestive and nutritional health status, as well as to assess their cardiovascular, kidney, liver, and thyroid health.
Also, for those who want to take proactive steps to address the root cause of their deficiencies and imbalances using the functional medicine approach and personalised guidance.
Your interpretation consultation with Elena Rolt will be scheduled within one week after your blood draw. Both in-person and online consultation options are available. Your Functional Blood Interpretation Report and Personalised Health Optimisation Strategy would be available within 24 hours post your Interpretation Consultation.
If any of your markers are outside of the “normal” level, Elena will advise you to see your GP or a specialist for further investigations.
What My Happy Clients Say!
“Elena has inspired me to start my health optimisation journey. She has done several functional tests for me (microbiome etc) and helped identify and treat a few issues they showed. It transpired I had candida (which explained some issues I had for years) and through following Elena’s advice, this has been sorted.
She has also tweaked my diet, encouraging me to include food groups I used to ignore and making sure my morning smoothies were balanced, teaching me optimum nutrition for better health. She has also given me advice on sleep, stress management, and weight loss. I have now lost 6kg following Elena’s recommendations and have never felt better.”