Organic Acids Test
A comprehensive look at your metabolism
What is the Organic Acids Test?
The Organic Acids Test (OAT) provides an accurate metabolic snapshot of what is going on in the body. Besides offering the most complete and accurate evaluation of intestinal yeast and bacteria, it also provides information on important neurotransmitters, nutritional markers, glutathione status, oxalate metabolism, and much more.
The test includes 76 urinary metabolite markers that can be very useful for discovering underlying causes of chronic illness.
What can the Organic Acids Test results tell me?
The Organic Acids Test results could provide insights into the root cause of a chronic illness or health challenges.
The Organic Acids Test assists in evaluating:
- Bacterial and yeast overgrowth, which can cause digestive issues, brain fog, low energy and neurological issues.
- Nutritional deficiencies, in particular B2, B5, B6, folate, B12, Vitamin C, CoQ10 and Glutathione, all of which are crucial for energy production and optimal metabolism.
- Mitochondrial dysfunction, which can cause fatigue, low energy, brain fog, depression and other neurological issues.
- Detoxification imbalances, including antioxidant deficiencies which can cause a variety of symptoms affecting all body systems.
- Neurotransmitter metabolism which could indirectly assess the levels of such neurotransmitters as dopamine, adrenaline, noradrenaline, and serotonin.
- Fatty acids intake and metabolism which are relevant to many processes including inflammatory balance, cell membrane fluidity, cell signaling, among others.
- Amino acids metabolism which is important in many clinical conditions.
Top 5 reasons to do an Organic Acids Test
- Identify underlying biochemical imbalances: The Organic Acid Test (OAT) can reveal a wide range of information about your body’s function and can help identify underlying imbalance such as yeast and bacterial overgrowth, mitochondrial dysfunction, nutrient deficiencies, detoxification issues and more.
- Support metabolism: The OAT can provide insight into your body’s energy metabolism, including any imbalances or dysfunctions that may be affecting your energy levels. Identifying and addressing these issues can lead to improved energy and overall well-being.
- Understand gut health: The OAT can provide insight into your gut health, including the presence of beneficial and pathogenic bacteria and yeast. This information can help inform recommendations for dietary and lifestyle changes to support your gut health.
- Monitor detoxification: The OAT can provide insight into your body’s detoxification pathways and identify issues that may be affecting your ability to detoxify toxins. Understanding your body’s detoxification status can help you make informed decisions about your diet and lifestyle to improve detoxification, and as results your energy levels and metabolism.
- Personalised recommendations: The OAT test results are interpreted by our functional medicine practitioner who will prepare a personalised report for you. The report includes explanation of your imbalances and how they link to your symptoms. It also includes personalised dietary and lifestyle, as well as supplementation required to correct any imbalances and/or dysfunctions identified by the test.
The Organic Acid Test (OAT) is a non-invasive test that provides a comprehensive analysis of various organic acids found in your urine. This test can reveal a wide range of information about your body’s functions, including any issues with energy metabolism, detoxification pathways, gut health, nutrient deficiencies, and more.
The OAT is a simple urine test that can be performed in the comfort of your own home. The test kit will be sent to you and you will be provided with instructions on how to collect the urine sample. Once collected, you will send the sample back to the lab for analysis.
The OAT can provide a wide range of information about your body’s function, including any issues with energy metabolism, detoxification pathways, gut health, nutrient deficiencies, and more. It can also provide insight into underlying conditions such as yeast and bacterial overgrowth, methylation issues, glutathione and other nutrients status, neurotransmitters levels.
Once the lab receives your sample, it typically takes around 10-14 days to receive the test results. You would be able to book your interpretation consultations once the results are back.
It depends on your insurance coverage, you should contact your insurance provider to find out if the test is covered.
The test results will be interpreted by our functional medicine practitioner who will provide a detailed report explaining the imbalances and their links to your symptoms. The report will include personalised dietary and recommendations as well as supplementation schedule to address any imbalances or dysfunctions identified in the test. It is always recommended to work with a practitioner to implement the recommendations.
What My Happy Clients Say!
“Elena has inspired me to start my health optimisation journey. She has done several functional tests for me (microbiome etc) and helped identify and treat a few issues they showed. It transpired I had candida (which explained some issues I had for years) and through following Elena’s advice, this has been sorted.
She has also tweaked my diet, encouraging me to include food groups I used to ignore and making sure my morning smoothies were balanced, teaching me optimum nutrition for better health. She has also given me advice on sleep, stress management, and weight loss. I have now lost 6kg following Elena’s recommendations and have never felt better.”